The Aluminum Association reports a 6.3 % demand growth for the aluminium industry in North America (US and Canada) in the first nine months of the year.
“We are glad to see steady demand growth for North American aluminium, which is some of the cleanest aluminium in the world,” said Charles Johnson, president and CEO of the Aluminum Association. “As we strive for a more energy-efficient future, our metal continues to provide innovative solutions and competitive advantages for businesses and consumers.”
Key messages on aluminium demand
The main messages of the report are:
- Aluminium demand in the United States and Canada (shipments by domestic producers plus imports) totalled an estimated 21.0bn pounds through the third quarter of 2022, advancing 6.3 % over the same period in 2021.
- Demand through Q3 2022 approached record demand levels for the industry last seen in 2018 and 2019.
- Although demand for aluminium in Q3 2022 declined 2.1 % from Q2 2022, the Q3 total of 7.0bn pounds was an increase of 7.0 % over Q3 last year.
- Flat-rolled products (sheet, plate and foil) saw demand increase 8.4 % year-to-date through September.
- Aluminium exports of semi-fabricated (or ‘mill’) products to foreign countries have increased 17.7 % from the like-2021 level.
Aluminium enables lower carbon emissions
Companies and consumers alike are turning to aluminium as they make sustainability a top priority for products. The carbon impact of making aluminium in North America has declined by more than half in the past 30 years. The metal also enables lower carbon outcomes in markets like automotive, building and packaging. Choosing aluminium means opting for a material that is infinitely recyclable, supports good-paying jobs and helps meet climate and energy goals, emphasizes the Aluminum Association.
The demands for aluminium tubes and aerosol cans remained stable overall in 2023, despite the challenges the sector has to meet.
Vedanta Aluminium has announced the development of an innovative process to significantly reduce the generation of bauxite residue.