The European tube market was relatively robust in the first half of 2022.
Despite difficult economic conditions, deliveries of aluminium, laminate and plastic tube producers organized in the European Tube Manufacturers Association (Etma) rose by 1 % to around 6bn units in the first half of the year.
The individual types of tubes developed differently. Aluminium tubes increased by just under 1 % and plastic tubes by about 2 %, while laminate tubes declined by almost 4 %. Laminate and aluminium tubes accounted for 36 % each of Etma members’ deliveries. The share of plastic tubes was 28 %.
Demand for pharmaceutical and cosmetic products picks up
The positive volume development was due to an increase in demand of almost 2 % from the cosmetics market, which dominates in terms of volume. Demand from the pharmaceutical sector, the second largest sales market, developed particularly positively, increasing by a good 8 %. In contrast, deliveries to the dental care market, the third largest sales segment, fell slightly by just under 2 %. These three markets together account for about 85 % of total deliveries. The remaining 15 % is accounted for by household products and food, which declined relatively sharply in the first half of 2022, falling by almost 15 % and 10 % respectively.
Threatening effects of the energy crisis
The exorbitant cost increases in the energy sector are particularly worrying. “Skyrocketing electricity and gas prices are causing Etma members great distress, and there is no end in sight to this alarming trend. A further worsening of the situation could lead to a situation threatening the existence of some members,” knows Etma President Mark Aegler.
In addition, increased energy prices are accompanied by a loss of purchasing power among European consumers due to inflation and fears of recession. “This is an unpleasant cocktail of difficult economic conditions that will have a lasting impact on the lives of European tube manufacturers and consumers this year and certainly next,” he adds.
Deliveries of flexible tubes increased slightly in H1 2023
Constellium partnered with Chanel Fragrance & Beauty and g.pivaudran to introduce a packaging including recycled aluminium for Chanel's mascara line "Le Volume."
Hydro invests in new Spanish aluminium recycler, thus strengthening its position in decarbonizing industries by offering more low-carbon aluminium.